Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How My Ass Got This Way, a Foodies Back Story.

When I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" towards the end of last year, I got really energized about juicing.  We got a middle end juicer ($250) and I juiced almost daily from July to October.  My back went out, unfortunately so I wasn't getting around enough to do the prep work involved for a while and I started to back slide on the juicing when our farm share went fallow for the winter..........
I made a promise to myself to try to reboot my metabolism this year.  My back is really bad and I am carting around *mumblemumble* pounds that I need to rid myself of.  On top of that there is the whole pre-menopausal stuff, and some weird skin stuff I would like to correct.  In other words, I am fat, sick, and nearly dead.  

So after rather extensive research, I created a fast for myself that I hope will help reboot my system.   I have been hanging around the same weight for 13 years.  Within about 10 lbs of the same weight.  I freaking hate it.  I was a thin woman once.  Now I look like a curvy, unhappy, pear shaped thing.  And I don't get around very well any more because of the above noted back injury so I can't just "burn it off" like I could in my 20's.  I don't have a calorie problem, or a poor relationship with food.  I like food.  Food is good.  

A couple years ago, husband and I went local and organic.  We succeed in that about 70% of the time.  Most restaurants around here use a nasty GMO food supplier, and it's hard to avoid some times.  But we try at least to go to locally owned (not corporate or franchised) restaurants when we go out.  We buy organic, and local when available, produce which is easy to find in Colorado.  We also can find locally sourced "clean" meat which is wonderful, but expensive.  Even if all this effort means nothing to the local economy (though I would like to believe it does) I do feel BETTER.  And I do notice when I am eating processed food or food that has been treated with chemicals.  (This comes in the form of some pretty freaking nasty stomach pain, skin problems, and lots of time on the throne, etc.  Yeah, it's tmi, get over it, we all poop.)  

It's going to suck come dinner time when the husband and kid eat, But I am allowing myself fresh raw fruit and veg. so I can masticate with them.  

That's the story.  We'll see if this works.  I will be putting down my daily menu in this blog and likely, complaining a lot about being hungry or wanting a nice steak.    We will see what come of all this.  

Stay tuned.  



No comments:

Post a Comment