Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What I ate today

"What did you eat today?"  Do people really ask each other this?  Do you post your lunch on your social networks? Do you think people care?


I have to admit that I do, now and then, ask; being keenly interested nutrition, fresh foods, and cooking.  The main goal of this blog is not to show you what I ate today, but to get myself back in the habit of picking up a camera (any camera) a few times a day.  Food is not my muse.  Photography is and photographing food is hard.  I mean really hard.  It takes a lot of perspicacity, and attention to detail to do right.  There are rules (lets call them guidelines), and tricks, and whole host of lighting and composition challenges.     


As food photography is totally outside of my photographic comfort zone, I am including photos of "What I ate today."  Another challenge will be making things I eat every day into different compositions.  (Yogurt in the grass, yogurt on the chair, yogurt upside down)


There is one other reason.....
.....I am a curvy woman.  Zaftig, rubenesque, squishy...in a fun way, not a too gross to leave the house sort of way.  I have had back problems, had a kid, and excess of very good things.  So here is my plan:  If I have to take a picture of it, will I want to take the time to set it up and photograph it?  Will I want to admit that I stuffed it in my gob?  So along with a food bog with half assed images you get my diet journal too!  It's a value added service! Enjoy!










3 comments:

  1. Just don't get discouraged. "Real" food photography rarely involves real food.

    I have a food blog specifically so that I don't bore people to tears with these things on social networks. In fact, at this point I have four topic specific blogs.

    a) So that my blogging has more focus than, say, my LJ account had 5-10 years ago

    b) I don't bore people on social networks with topicality

    c) None of them are political blogs and I abhor politics on social networking, so when I find myself compelled to be political I have nowhere to put it, which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the people that inspired this blog and the parsing of content. I agree with the points mentioned. I feel the need to hone my writing and photography, and hope to do that. Thank you for the encouragement.

    I have a photoblog for old portraits and this one so far. I am thinking I need a blog about photo editing. Like with LJ, I have tried for the past several years to not air my dirty laundry (real feelings/inside voice)in "public" but there is a part of me that wants to do a blog about that. Unfortunately, I feel like my job is a bit too high profile (within my industry) and that it would be a "bad idea".

    Ps. Tried a dark and stormy the other night. I found it a bit too sweet. Which is weird coming from a brandy drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, food blog!

    http://dungeonsandkitchens.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete